Cozen O’Connor was established in 1970 and currently ranks among the nation’s largest law firms, with more than 700 attorneys in 24 cities in Europe and North America. It is a full-service firm with nationally-recognized practices in litigation, business and corporate law, and governmental and regulatory matters. Its clients include a host of the country’s Fortune 500 corporations.
The firm got its start representing the insurance industry, and it remains a global leader in the fields of insurance coverage and subrogation and recovery work. Cozen O’Connor attorneys have represented the largest American insurers in connection with claims arising from high-visibility matters dating to Three Mile Island in 1978. Over the intervening 35 years, the firm’s attorneys also been retained – frequently as national coordinating counsel – in connection with numerous catastrophic losses including:
- Superstorm Sandy (2012)
- the Deepwater Horizon Gulf oil spill (2010)
- Hurricanes Ike and Gustav (2008)
- Hurricane Katrina (2005)
- Hurricanes Charley, Francis, Ivan, and Jeanne (2004)
- the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack (2001)
- American businesses’ Y2K Sue and Labor claims (1999)
- the Kansas City Hyatt Regency Skywalk collapse (1981)
- the Mount St. Helens eruption (1980)
Cozen O’Connor’s Global Insurance Department has almost 100 attorneys who focus entirely in first and third-party insurance matters, and it is dedicated to keeping the firm’s clients apprised of court decisions, enacted or proposed legislation, and regulatory activities that impact the insurance industry.